Who doesn’t love brownies? It’s cocoa powder mixed in with chocolate chunks, and can even be topped with melted chocolate. One of the easiest baked goodie to make! And certainly one of the most delicious. In every good brownie recipe requires baking soda or baking powder. But what’s the difference, really? It might look or sound the same, but it isn’t.
The most common leavening agents used in baking is baking soda, baking powder, and yeast. Both baking soda and baking powder contain sodium bicarbonate, a basic compound that breaks down in the presence of acidity, which is present in the dough, to produce carbon dioxide as one of the products. The slight difference between the two is that baking soda contains only sodium bicarbonate, which can leave a bitter taste in the bread if there isn’t enough acidity to completely break it down, while baking powder also contains an acidic compound which helps break down the bicarbonate once mixed into the mixture.
Now, let’s prepare our equipment! You’ll need a rubber spatula, whisk and a 9×9 inch-baking tray, about 1 inch deep. It will also come in handy if you have cooking spray in your kitchen for greasing your pan before baking. But using vegetable oil or butter will do fine. Let’s get started!
For this recipe, we’ll need:
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cups of cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- Let’s first preheat the oven to 350 F / 180 C
- Take a medium sized bowl and add the eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla
- Take a rubber spatula, and just stir just until it’s blended
- In a bigger bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder using a whisk
- Once that’s done, slowly add the dry ingredients into the sugar, oil and egg mixture
- Scoop in the dry ingredients one at a time and gently mix in between
- After that, take out a 9×9 inch square pan
- Use cooking spray or vegetable oil to thoroughly grease the pan
- Add the brownie batter on the baking tray
- Take it in the oven and bake for 20 minutes
Once that’s finished baking, let the brownies cool first before taking out of the pan. After it has cooled down, you may remove the brownies from the pan and cut it into squares. Now you can enjoy your chocolate brownie goodness!